Introduce Yourself Here to get Literacy Pack #1

Ask or share about Zhongwen Bu Mafan or using TPRS for Chinese.
inexplore

Re: Introduce Yourself Here to get Literacy Pack #1

Post by inexplore » Mon Aug 28, 2017 10:48 am

Hello Everyone,

I am Yoyo, I've been teaching Chinese in Indianapolis, IN for the past 5 years. I was teaching grade K-8 and this year I am teaching high school. I attended NTPRS and followed by Terry's Workshop in Columbus, OH this summer, and this is my first year switching to TPRS and CI. If any teacher is teaching DP - Ab Initio Mandarin, please feel free to share your curriculum and strategies for teaching higher level with CI/TPRS. Thanks!

twaltzing

Post by twaltzing » Mon Aug 28, 2017 2:51 pm

Frances,

Does your email start with huii.....? I'm having trouble figuring out which email is yours to send you the pack! :shock: :(

Terry

bonnie

Post by bonnie » Mon Aug 28, 2017 8:22 pm

My name is Bo Pang, and I teach middle and high school Chinese in a private school in Cincinnati. I love TPRS, and already tried some TPRS materials and methods in class. The kids love TPRS very much! Thank you Terry! My email address is bonniepang28@gmail.com.

daphnewang

Post by daphnewang » Tue Aug 29, 2017 3:30 am

This is Jing from Indiana. This is my 10th year working as a mandarin teacher. I love TPRS and have been trying to use this method since last year.

zhanglaoshi

Post by zhanglaoshi » Tue Aug 29, 2017 8:06 pm

老師們好!

My name is Pamela Rose (張柏漪). I'm originally from New York and I'm on my 4th year of teaching Mandarin, my 10th year of teaching world language (I previously taught ESL). I trained in Hawaii with Terry in 2013 and I've been able to attend or organize Terry Waltz workshops several times since then.

I'm currently teaching in the New York City area using TCI/TPRS techniques and methods. I'm looking forward to all the future Class Paks!!!

Pamela

awest

Post by awest » Wed Aug 30, 2017 1:17 am

Hi everyone! My name is Amber West and I have been teaching Chinese at the secondary school level for nearly a decade. I attended the workshop Terry recently ran at CCSU, and am sold on CI and TPRS!
Good luck in the new school year!
Best,
Amber

Kristine

Post by Kristine » Thu Aug 31, 2017 7:46 pm

老師們好!
I am a retired teacher of over 30 years of Chinese teaching experience.
I began collaborating with Terry at the UH Hawaii StarTalk Summer Camp seven years ago.
I was the editor for “TPRS With Chinese Characteristics”
I am the author of the CCR reading and writing exercises.
I am here to help you.

I am in TOTAL sympathy and admiration for you as TPRS teachers!! It is you that are giving your students their Chinese Voice. ( that language that just rings in their heads.)

CCR depends on that Chinese Voice.
Reading aloud helps to activate this voice. (Things sound right.)

CCR is CI in and of itself.
CCR offers students a way to “output” by reading aloud, as they are getting CI from the text they are reading.
The teacher is free to observe or meet with students individually.

CCR is empowering.
Students can easily read (WITH UNDERSTANDING) long texts of 漢字.
This is impressive to EVERYONE. ( family, administration, teachers, students)

Repeated Understanding is the key to Assimilation:
The reading and writing exercises are meant to give students one more reason to read what they understand.
The emphasis should be in DOING the exercise, not in completing the exercise.
The whole point is to READ WITH UNDERSTANDING ONE MORE TIME.

So…CCR reading and writing exercises are meant to convenience the teacher.
We hope that we have offered more exercises than you need.
Let us know what we have left out.

Kristine. 吳凱瑞

duckyming

Post by duckyming » Fri Sep 01, 2017 12:05 am

Hello,

My name is Ming Chu (朱明慧)This is my 10th year teaching in Indianapolis, Indiana. This year is my 4th year at Center for Inquiry 84 teaching Chinese from K to 8. In my school there are roughly 400 students and 150 students are Middle school students. I really love teaching Chinese to younger kids. They are so energetic and very open-minded. I want to use TPRS this year to teach my Middle school students because I want them to be able to speak more target language and be able to read. I am hoping to get to know you more and exchange teaching idea 和大家一起交流。 you can contact me at chu.113@osu.edu.

Thank you!

xiaolidoty

Post by xiaolidoty » Fri Sep 01, 2017 1:20 am

Hello everyone,

I'm teaching 2nd-12th grade in public schools, I started to teach TPRS since 2013 after attended Dr. Waltz's StarTalk in Hawaii. It works great with my beginners, but still I forgot things I need to do to keep everyone engaged, forgot students need a lot comprehension input and all the circling details. I'm glad that I got to attend Dr. Waltz's TPRS workshop again this summer, I can always find way to learn more and get better at it.

dilaoshi17

Post by dilaoshi17 » Sun Sep 03, 2017 10:56 pm

It is so generous of you Dr. Waltz to offer these resources to fellow teachers. My name is Richard DeSalvo and I teach middle school Mandrarin at an all boys school in Massachusetts. I am looking forward to going all in with CI and TPRS this year, with the help of wonderful resources and advice from you and many others in the community. Best wishes for a happy start for everyone, and a year full of learning and adventure!